Weapons of violence
'The Weapons of Violence' tells the story of violence in Central America. Random, violent acts are an everyday occurrence. Victims, doctors and experts present their views on the issue. The 'Angels for Peace' organization aims to raise awareness of the problem of random violence and works to reduce the availability of firearms, but its efforts are complicated by the widespread view that weapons are needed for self-defense.
As the film shows, random acts of violence have a far-reaching impact on the lives of victims and their families. Survivors are often permanently handicapped and thus dependent on family members for help; 74% suffer from psychological trauma and are unable to work.
There are also considerable economic consequences. Victims are often in need of permanent medical care and expensive medical supplies. Victims can no longer work and are financially dependent on their families for care and medical costs. This doubles the economic impact on families that were poor to begin with.
There are several factors that contribute to the widespread violence in Central America. When the civil wars that plagued the region ended in the 1990s, the weapons used to fight largely remained in circulation. Both former soldiers and veterans of the many civilian militias never turned in their weapons. The dominant 'macho ' culture, as well as the widespread use of corporal punishment by parents, may also contribute to the culture of violence.
- Children talk about weapons
- Widespread violence is a big problem in Central America, even little children think that the use of weapons is an everyday occurrence.
- A mother tells the horrible story of her son being shot
- The acts of violence have a huge impact on a lot of families in Central America. Several people talk about the possible factors that contributes to the violence in these countries. They suggest that the dominant macho culture and the use of corporal punishment may contribute to this violent culture.
- The Angels for Peace organization
- The Angels of Peace organization aims to raise awareness of the problem of random violence and works to reduce the availability of firearms.
- A story of a victim who had been assaulted
- The boy survived but he has a lot of problems because his whole life has changed since the day of the assault. Now the boy is handicapped and he depends on his family.
- Domestic Violence
- Violent behaviors are treated as normal in a lot of households In Central America. A young girl named Sabrina shot herself, her friends talk about this tragic situation.
- Black Market
- One of the problems of the firearms is that they disappear into the black market.
- Mass Media
- The mass media has a lot of responsibility because they put a lot of emphasis on the crime subject and this might contribute to the insecurity.
- Xibalba is an art school which keep the youth busy and protect them for violent behavior.